Home > Choose Your Own Adventure, Your Turn > Choose Your Own Adventure 10: Say Hello

Choose Your Own Adventure 10: Say Hello


The last post in the sequence is here.  Time to say hi to the soldier guys.

Part 10

You wait a few minutes, hiding behind a tree, watching and listening to the two men.

“… and that,” the older man says, “Is Oblivion Canyon.”  He waves towards the cliff you came from.  “Or the closest this road gets to it, at any rate.  Now, the exact region of danger varies a lot, so if you get stuck investigating it for some reason, the rule of thumb is that if you can’t remember what you ate for breakfast that morning, you’re too close.”

The younger man raises his eyebrows.  “And what if I’m close enough to forget the rule of thumb?”

“Then you’re probably too far in for anybody to help you.”

“Great.  Not only am I assigned to the Empire’s best backwater, it’s got a canyon full of soul-sucking magic.”

The older man chuckles, and points at his missing eye.  “Believe me, next time there’s a war on, you’ll wish for the safe backwater again.”

Before the younger man can reply, you emerge from the brush, to the right from their perspective, and a little ahead of them on the road.  “Hello!  I could use a ride, if you don’t mind.”

The younger soldier pulls up on the reins, startled.  The older one reaches for his sword, then relaxes slightly.

The older man looks at you up and down.  “Chuthak, woman, what are you doing out here dressed like that?”

“I’m… not really sure,” is your best answer.

The older man squints at you with his one good eye.  “What’s the last thing you remember?”

You don’t know much, so telling what little you do know probably won’t be too harmful.  “Standing over there,” you say, pointing towards the edge, “and thinking about jumping in.”

He mutters a few more oaths, then stops.  “Really.  Hmph.”  The younger soldier just looks back and forth between his superior and you, apparently confused.  “Might as well give you a ride.  Jump in the cart and we’ll be going.”

You hop the tail of the cart easily enough, and take a seat next to a couple of empty barrels.  They must be going into town somewhere for supplies.

After getting the horses moving again, the young man speaks quietly to his companion.  He probably thinks you can’t hear him, given that he says, “You know, if her memory’s that messed up, we could, heheh–”

“Not funny.  Don’t even think that, unless you want a thorough flogging.”  Then he turns around towards you, and says, more loudly, “I’m Sergeant Berschiss.  Mind telling me your name, and what you know about what happened?”

Actually, you don’t remember your name.  Or what happened.  Hmm.

The Options

Option 12:  Make up a name and some more plausible story than not remembering anything.

Option 13:  Make up a name, but say you actually don’t remember anything.

Option 14:  Shrug and indicate that you don’t have any answers, either.

Option 15:  Change the subject.

Advertisements
  1. Daniel Hanlen
    2013/03/23 at 2:33 am

    Make up a name, Syndey, Yeah, that’ll do. Nope, don’t know a thing (lucky number 13)

  2. 2013/03/28 at 2:39 pm

    Any more votes? You’ve got a day or so before I put together the next section…

  3. Daniel Hanlen
    2013/03/30 at 6:22 am

    Am I the only person voting? 😦

  1. 2013/03/29 at 10:55 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: